September 10th, 2014
Welcome Back Yankee Ridge Families!
Story and photos by Patti Pattison
Family Night at Yankee Ridge on August 28th was a wonderful evening with mild weather and a great turnout of families and their students. Families had a chance to visit classrooms, talk to teachers, meet other parents and students as well as visit the resource fair in the gym. The resource fair offered information about the Yankee Ridge
Afterschool program, PTA, PBIS, Character Traits, Social Emotional Learning, and information on how families can be involved in the school through volunteer opportunities. Also present were the Urbana Park District and Free Library, Aramark and other community representatives.
The information portion of the evening was followed by a dinner on the school south playground. ESS, After School recreation leaders, PTA members and other staff helped serve the food and drinks for families. Families were able to mix and mingle with old and new friends and relax on the grass while the students enjoyed the playground.
May 6th, 2014
Kindergarten Connection at the Urbana Civic Center on April 8th was a success! We had 184 families attend this first step into kindergarten!
If you missed the Kindergarten Connection and your child will be entering Kindergarten at Yankee Ridge Elementary school this fall, you are encouraged to go to the school to begin the sign-up process.
At the school, you, the parent or legal guardian, will complete the registration forms, sign-up your student for an August kindergarten screening, and receive a handbook with information about Urbana’s kindergarten classes and how to ensure success for your child.
Each neighborhood elementary school has set aside time between now and the end of the school year (June 4th) for parents who missed Kindergarten Connection but still need to start the registration process. Dates and times for Yankee Ridge Elementary is listed below. Starting the process now will help you to avoid the long “New Student” lines at Centralized Registration on July 29th – July 31st.
Kindergarten Connection/registration times for Yankee Ridge Elementary school is:
Yankee Ridge Elementary School
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm
April 9th, 2014
April 9th, 2014
- April 10, 2014 (Thursday) 6:30pm Parent/Teacher Association (PTA) Meeting- YR Library
- May 15, 2014 (Thursday) 6:30pm PTA Meeting- YR Library
- June 4, 2014 (Wednesday) Last School Day
- July 29, 2014 (Tuesday) 10:00am-3:00pm Centralized Registration
- July 30, 2014 (Wednesday) 3:00pm-7:00pm Centralized Registration
- July 31, 2014 (Thursday) 9:00am-1:00pm Centralized Registration
**You must attend centralized registration to register your child, pay fees, and receive important school information**
- August 5, 2014 (Tuesday) Kindergarten Screening at Yankee Ridge
- August 6, 2014 (Wednesday) Kindergarten Screening at Yankee Ridge
- August 20, 2014 (Wednesday) First full day of school for half of the class
- August 21, 2014 (Thursday) First full day of school for the other half of the Kdg. class
- August 22, 2014 (Friday) All students in attendance (Kdg-5th grade)
- August 28, 2014 (Thursday) 6:00-7:15pm Family Night at Yankee Ridge
** Look for more information about Family Night at Yankee Ridge at Centralized Registration in July**
October 28th, 2013
Yankee Ridge school garden was a great success in its first year! Students were involved in the entire gardening cycle from planning, planting seeds, transplanting, weeding, watering, harvesting and preparing the garden for the winter. The students were excited to help with harvesting the tomatoes, kale, broccoli, lettuce, edamame, green beans, and cabbage. The students really enjoyed seeing tiny sunflower seeds grow into 6 foot beautiful plants. Every student in the school was given an opportunity to try some edamame when it was harvested.
Read the rest of this entry »
← Older School News