History of Wiley Elementary
Our 1998-1999 staff members and PTA officers were:
- Principal – Dr. Joan Fortschneider
- Office Manager – Linda Peace
- Secretary – Diane Mullen
- Custodian – Russell Overholt
- Kindergarten – Patty Bergan, Kathy Endsley, Amanda Rutledge, and Becky Orenic
- First Grades – Ingrid Nelson/Michelle Shaw, Nancy Fehr, and Jill Quisenberry
- Second Grades -Linda Busey and Marcy Vancil
- Second/Third Grade – Barb Gillespie-Washington
- Third Grades – Gail Becker and Debbie Heffernan
- Fourth Grades – Richard Clift and Patricia Nettles
- Fourth/Fifth Grade – Evelyn Walton
- Fifth Grades – Marcia Richards and Rebecca Cortright
- Fine Arts – Maureen Burch and Rachel Spencer (Dance and Drama); Maureen Burch, Margaret Meder and Jim Lyons (Music);
- Martha Churukian and Harbert Jones (Visual Arts)
- Instrumental Music – Ellen Elrick and Kristen Johns
- Title 1 – Pete Barnes, Ellen Mennenga, and Tanya Wahl
- Reading Specialists – Ingrid Nelson and Stephanie Morse
- Kindergarten Transition Specialist – Dottie Davito
- Librarian – Ann West
- Library Clerk – Carrie Kubetz
- Outreach Worker/Detention Supervisor – Alice McGee
- B.E.S.T. Coordinator – Felisicia Jarrett
- Psychologist – Rhonda Driscoll
- District Nurse – Michele Spading
- Medications Nurse – Shirley Linicome
- Collaboration Sub – Vera Williams
- Social Worker – Kathy Murray
- Peer Mediation – Rebecca Corbly
- Speech/Language – Ruth Ann Kingery
- Learning Disabilities/Inclusion Facilitators – Debra Brooks and Marcia Wickes
- Hearing Impaired – Penny Porter
- Visually Impaired – Char Beckley
- Inclusion Facilitator – Chris Northrup
- Inclusion Aides – Asfia Kazmi, Malinda Jackson, and Barbara Mies
- ARA Food Service – Carisa Perkins (OM), Brenda Grady, and Navarn Welch
- Breakfast/Lunch Supervisors – Brenda Jones, Patricia Edwards, Judith Hiners, Linda Lawhead, Isabela Magalhaes, and Susan Ross
- PTA President – Becky Ford
- PTA Vice President – Bruce Goettel
- PTA Secretary – Carisa Perkins
- PTA Treasurer – Charles Kahn
Our staff introduced our mission statement of “High Expectations, Success, Respect and Teamwork” to kickoff the school year.
PTA purchased movies to “start up” an indoor lunch recess movie library as a resource for our lunch supervisors.
Urbana voters approved a referendum to provide improvements to all school buildings in our district, but particularly Leal and UMS.
Wiley Student Council organized a “soap and deodorant drive” for Make a Difference Day. We donated 286 items to the community.
Mike Shine, and Olympic medalist in our area, spoke to students about “Dreaming big and setting individual goals” during American Education Week. An all school display noted the goals of each student.
Ms. Vancil was awarded National Board Certification, one of a select group of educators nationally recognized with this distinction.
Mrs. Gillespie-Washington became a published author with her instructional resource book on Africa.
Wiley Elementary honored parent Janet Rosenberger for her long service and dedication to the children at Wiley. Mrs. Rosenberger was the catalyst for Wiley PTA’s growth. An assembly honored her numerous contributions to the students, teachers, staff and family of Wiley Elementary School.
Our school improvement teams including staff, parents, community members and our principal, made the decision to change to a Schoolwide Title 1 School beginning in the fall of 1999. Committees met to plan the transition and school improvements.