School Delays and Closures
In the event that severe weather develops during the school day, school officials will be in direct contact with Civil Defense authorities. School dismissal will be at the regular time, unless we are all advised otherwise. Parents should be alert to the development of severe weather conditions and should listen to local television and radio stations to determine if there will be an early school dismissal.
Parents- please make a plan of action in advance about what your children are to do in the event of an early school dismissal. Make a back up plan too. You should give the plan to your child’s teacher along with the names and phone numbers of anyone you may designate to assist during an early dismissal.
If weather conditions become severe, due to snow, ice, heat, etc., parents are advised to check any of the following locations for busing information, early dismissals and school closings. Decisions are based on the safety of the students.
School Closings and Early Dismissals can be found on:
Listen to radio stations:
WHMS Lite Rock 97.5 FM
WBCP 1580 AM
WKIO 92.5 FM
WIXY 94.5 FM
WPCD 88.7 FM
WBGL 91.7 FM
Watch on TV:
WICD Channel 15
WCIA Channel 3
WAND Channel 17
Other Emergency Situations
Tornado season is upon us! Here are some tips to protect yourself from tornado dangers.
Stay tuned for storm warnings.
Tune in to local media for storm information. Know the difference between a tornado WATCH and a tornado WARNING.
- A tornado WATCH means that conditions right for a tornado to form.
- A tornado WARNING means that a tornado has been sighted and could be heading to your area.
If a tornado threatens…
- If you are in a house or small building, go to the basement. If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lowest floor. Pick a place ahead of time where you will be protected from glass and other flying debris.
- If you are outside, quickly seek shelter in the basement of a nearby sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area.
- If you are in a car or mobile home, GET OUT and seek shelter in the basement of a sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch low lying area AWAY from your car or mobile home.
After the tornado passes…
- Watch for fallen power lines and stay out of any damaged areas.
- Listen to the radio for information and instructions.
- Use a flashlight to inspect your home for damage.
- DO NOT use candles at any time.