August 30 Notes: Drop-off and Pick-up
Dear UMS Families:
As our new families learn our school routines, and as a result of some changes with in-building school procedures, I want to remind all families of some general items so that the school operates smoothly, safely, and with minimal disruption to student learning.
- Drop-off. All students now enter through the main entrance (Door #1). Please do not plan to drop-off your student in the north parking lot between 8:10 and 8:40. Bus traffic, has priority, and we are experiencing very high volumes of traffic during this time. Families may drop-off students at other locations and students may walk to the main entrance. Do not drop off along Vine Street NORTH of Fairlawn. This area is designated for MTD drop-off. Families are encouraged to drop-off SOUTH of Fairlawn on Vine, along Fairlawn where we have a crossing guard at Vine, and along Michigan.
- Pick-up. Students may exit the building through a variety of doors. Families should make arrangements to have a regular pick-up location. After school, Michigan is a one-way street going west, and families are encouraged to pick-up along Michigan or in the Aquatic Center parking lot behind UMS. Families are reminded not to block driveways, especially residential driveways, at any time.
- Contacting your student. Please call ahead if you need to pick-up your student or give your student something during the school day. It is important that we limit interruptions to classrooms. If the school knows in advance that you need your student, we will make every effort to have your student waiting for you in the office.
- Delivering messages to your student. Generally, messages are delivered to students by a staff member throughout the school day. However, staff is unable to deliver messages to students during the last thirty minutes of the school day due to the high volume of messages as well as other staffing needs in preparation for dismissal.
- What to do if your student does not make it home after school. It is most likely that your student did not board the bus home, did not go home directly after school, or did not tell you that he/she was not coming straight home. Buses typically do not leave campus until 8-10 minutes after the dismissal bell. Please allow for at least 30 minutes before contacting school. If your student has not arrived home, you are welcome to call the school, and the school will attempt to locate your student. If the school cannot locate your student, you should call your local police department.
Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional concerns, suggestions, or questions, and I hope your student is having a wonderful start to the school year!
Scott Woods, Principal