What's New at Urbana Middle School
April 15th, 2013
Join us this week as Urbana Middle School and Broadway on Vine present an excitingproduction of Once Upon a Mattress.
In this production, a love-sick nobleman, seeking to marry his sweetheart, does his best to find his ruling prince a suitable bride so that he himself may wed in this middle-school adaptation of the popular Broadway musical Once Upon a Mattress.
Public performances are Thursday, April 18th, at 7:00 pm and Saturday, April 20th, at 3:00pm. Tickets are available at the door for $3 for students and $5 for adults.
There will be a special performance at 4:00 pm on Friday, April 19, at 4:00 for UMS students only. This performance, not open to the general public, is $3 for students or free for students who turn in five Tiger Tickets.
April 1st, 2013
As a result of the March 25 “Snow Day”, the UMS Promotion Ceremony date has changed. This year’s eighth grade promotion ceremony will be held in UMS’s gymnasium on Friday, May 24 at 9:30 a.m. immediately followed by a brief reception in our cafetorium. This event is held during the school day so that all eligible students may participate. The school year concludes for eighth grade students at 11:00 a.m. on this day. This date may change pending unforeseen school cancellation.
For more information click here: Promotion Announcemtn Letter–Revised April 1
March 15th, 2013
Images from the UMS Talent Show held on Tuesday, March 12.
March 5th, 2013
Welcome to Tiger Country! This time of year is always exciting for our fifth graders as we begin the transition process from elementary school to middle school. It is our goal that you and your child will feel welcome and enthusiastic about the middle school experience. We have several opportunities coming up for you and your child to become acquainted with UMS (click here):( 5th Grade Letter 2013, 5th Grade Letter 2013 Spanish)
On April 23 from 6:30-8:00 PM, UMS will host its Family Curriculum Night. Families of fifth graders are invited to come into UMS to receive an overview of the academic and extracurricular programs offered here. Families will also have a chance to explore the building. If you are a parent of a student not currently enrolled in Urbana schools, you are welcome to attend.
March 4th, 2013
Spring Spirit Week is March 11-15 and culminates with the Students vs. Staff volleyball and basketball games. Please encourage your student to join in all the fun teambuilding activities throughout the week. Please see the attached flier: Spirit Week 2013
March 1st, 2013
On March 12, UMS will host a talent/variety show for UMS students and staff. This is not a competitive talent show, and the purpose is to allow our students and staff an opportunity to display their unique skills and abilities while raising funds for our performing arts programs. Tickets will be on sale Monday, March 11. The cost is $5 for adults and $3 for middle school students and younger children.
For more information and the parent permission form click here: Talent Show Permission Form and Guidelines
February 12th, 2013
The Parent-Principal Advisory Committee (PPAC) will be meeting again Thursday, February 21 from 6:30-8:00 in room 1520. The purpose of PPAC is to receive feedback directly from parents regarding ways to make UMS the best possible middle school. We will have two topics at this PPAC meeting:
1. Implementing Positive Behavioral Implementations and Supports (PBIS) at UMS
2. Discussion of extracurricular athletic and academic opportunities for students.
If you plan to attend, please email email@example.com or call 384-3685. All parents and family members are welcome to attend!
February 12th, 2013
Download the March 2013 issue of Tiger Times to be informed about UMS.
December 20th, 2012
Dear UMS Families,
Following the recent events in Connecticut, many parents and students have had questions about what UMS does to protect our students. We have procedures and practices already in place at UMS, and we actively review and evaluate those procedures and practices to ensure that we are doing everything that is reasonably possible to protect our students and staff. Additionally, we continue to collaborate with local law enforcement and emergency response agencies to review our policies and procedures.
Parents should be aware of the following safety policies and procedures that are in place at UMS:
- All entrances to the building are kept locked during school hours.
- All visitors and guests must enter through the main entrance and check-in at the main office.
- Students and staff annually practice at least one code red drill. This drill is sometimes referred to as a “lock down” drill by the media. Typically, this drill is monitored by local law enforcement.
- Parents/Families will be notified when a code red drill or a real code red has taken place. We would typically do this through district voice/email/text blast (aka Skylert).
- During any drills or real emergency situations (code red, tornado, or fire, etc.) you may not have immediate access to your child, but we will communicate with you about when, how and where you can pick up your child after the drill or non-drill event.
- Only individuals listed as the parent/guardian or emergency contact for a child may have access to the student, and those individuals must have photo identification to access the child.
- UMS has a committee that meets regularly to review our emergency procedures.
This list represents some of the safety policies and procedures we have in place. We work closely with our staff and other agencies to ensure that you have appropriate information and your students know how to respond in an emergency situation.
Please take a moment to log in to Skyward Family Access and update the contact information in the Skylert tab. If you do not have a Family Access login and password, you may obtain one in person with a picture ID in the main office.
If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.
← Older School News