Unit Title: Oral Histories in the Classroom
By Alexis Jones
Objectives for the unit:
- Students will learn interviewing techniques:
- Asking good questions
- Writing thank you notes, etc.
- Students will practice these techniques as they research and write biographies of their peers.
- Students will conduct oral histories on audiotape.
- Students will analyze audiotapes as primary documents.
- Students will collect artifacts from family members, community members, the Early American History Museum, and online sources.
- Students will analyze the above artifacts as primary documents.
- Students will write historical fiction tales related to these artifacts.
- Students will connect these oral histories and artifacts to important people and events in American history.