Families New to the District
Welcome to the Urbana School District #116! We look forward to serving you, your students, and your family for many years to come. Our outstanding schools in an outstanding community comprise of an early childhood school, six neighborhood elementary schools, a middle school, a high school, and an adult education center. If you are interested in social media, you can find us on Facebook at USD116
or follow us on Twitter: @Urbana116
Information for becoming a USD #116 student
If your students are of elementary age (grades K through 5), attendance will be at one of our six neighborhood elementary schools and is based on where you live. A information about our Elementary Attendance Areas and a map of it can be found here
. Grades 6, 7 and 8 attend Urbana Middle School, while grades 9 through 12 are at the historic Urbana High School.
Urbana Early Childhood School
The Urbana Early Childhood School provides services for children ages 3-5. Children attend school 2½ hours daily, with morning and afternoon sessions. Students receive school bus transport to and from school. Urbana Early Childhood School is located on the Prairie Campus, next to Dr. Preston L. Williams Jr Elementary School.
Children enrolled in Early Childhood Education at Urbana Early Childhood School have been identified through a screening and assessment process as needing either Special Education Services or Preschool Readiness Experience. More information about the screening process can be found on these flyers:
Towards the end of summer (typically the last week of July), USD #116 hosts a three-day, all schools Centralized Registration event. This one-stop-shop allows families to register their students for the upcoming school year regardless of what school the student[s] attend, meet with their school's principal and office staff, receive information about free or reduced lunch, pays fees, sign up for Skyward Family Access and the Before and After School Childcare Program, and get other community-based information.
All incoming students and families should provide the following information and completed forms to register to attend a USD #116 school. This includes students enrolling in school for the first time, for a child who is returning after being out of the district, or for a child transferring to USD #116 from another school district. If you are attending Centralized Registration, you can elect to print and complete the required forms, or they will be provided to you at the event.
Note: All Illinois public school districts are required to provide this form to any student who is moving out of their school district to let the new IL school district know whether or not the student is "in good standing" and whether or not their medical records are up-to-date.
Required Medical Information:
Proof of Residency Requirements
Any adult who registers a child in the Urbana School District must provide:
- Photo ID (ONE of the following is acceptable):
- Driver's license
- State ID card
- Other Photo ID
Proof of occupation of a residence in USD #116
Residency is defined as the location where the family spends at least four nights per week. Documentation shall include ONE of the following:
- For homeowners: a copy of the deed, closing documents, or other mortgage documentation which shows the parent/guardian's name and address.
- For renters: A copy of a properly executed lease agreement with the parent/guardian's name listed as the renter, as well as a signature page including the name, address, and telephone number of the landlord for verification purposes.
- For those living with a person who rents or owns a residence: The documentation listed above must be provided concerning the person who resides in District #116 and with whom the parent/guardian lives.
- For those who intend to move into the District: These circumstances are clearly defined by law and the information may be obtained by calling the office of Jennifer Ivory-Tatum, Assistant Deputy Superintendent, at 217-384-3651.
If none of the above apply, then TWO of the following must be provided:
- Telephone company verification (cellular phones are not acceptable)
- Recent utility bill
- Public aid/Medical card, medical bills
- Voter registration card
- Current homeowner's insurance or renter's insurance policy statement
- Auto registration
- Federal or state income tax return (financial information may be removed)
Students are expected to attend the school in the school district in which their parents reside. If the child enrolled in the Urbana School District does not live with his/her parents, then guardians must provide legal documentation of their guardian status.
Medical, Dental, and Eye Exams
The Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) requires that all new
students to the district have a physical and all required immunizations
on file. New students will have 30 days to submit the necessary forms. We will attempt to obtain records from the previous school district if applicable.
ISBE requires that all students entering kindergarten, second and sixth grade have an oral (dental) health examination
. Forms must be submitted by May 15th
ISBE requires all children enrolling in kindergarten in a public, private, or parochial school and any student enrolling for the first time in a public, private, or parochial school are required to have an eye examination
For students attending Urbana Early Childhood School, all elementary schools, UMS, and UHS there is a $100 registration fee
. If your family qualifies for free/reduced lunch, this fee may be reduced or waived.
For more information
To learn which school a child will attend, please refer to the Elementary School Boundary Map
, located on the Elementary Attendance Areas page
. Specific boundaries in some areas are very detailed, so please check with the Office of Curriculum and Instruction, at 217-384-3651, to verify if a specific address is within a certain elementary school’s attendance area. If you have questions about registering your student, please feel free to call Jennifer Ivory-Tatum
, Deputy Superintendent, at 217-384-3651, or you may call the principal’s office of the school your child will attend.
Office numbers are as follows:
- Urbana Early Childhood School: 217-384-3616
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Elementary: 217-384-3675
- Dr. Williams Elementary: 217-384-3628
- Leal Elementary: 217-384-3618
- Thomas Paine Elementary: 217-384-3602
- Wiley Elementary: 217-384-3670
- Yankee Ridge Elementary: 217-384-3608
- Elementary Before/After School Child Care Program: 217-384-3536 (main number)
- Urbana Middle School: 217-384-3685
- Urbana High School: 217-384-3505
As stated in the Urbana School District #116 Board of Education Policy (Board Policy Manual, Chapter 7:30 Student Assignment and Intra-District Transfer
), parents may request an assignment to an attendance center outside their residential area by making a written request (petition form
) to Dr. Jennifer Ivory-Tatum, Deputy Superintendent. For further information on these procedures
, please contact 217-384-3651.