Employment at Urbana School District
Please note that this is a Regional Office of Education (ROE) Consortium, and your application will be on the website for the Champaign-Ford County ROE.
- Open Positions and Online Application – Urbana School District
- Open Positions and Online Application – Champaign-Ford County ROE
Before employees and volunteers can begin to work for the district they must complete the following requirements:
Tuberculin (Communicable Diseases) Test
All new employees of the School District are required to submit evidence of freedom from communicable disease, including tuberculosis to the School District prior to the beginning of employment. The examination submitted by the new employee to the School District must not be more than ninety (90) days old. It is the responsibility of each new employee to arrange for his/her communicable disease test.
- Carle Clinic Occupational Medicine is available for physicals and tuberculin (TB) tests. Carle requests you not bring your children with you. If you do bring your children, it will be necessary to reschedule your appointment. You may contact them at 217-383-3077 to schedule an appointment and get current fee information.
- Safe Works Illinois is available for physicals and tuberculin (TB) tests. However, Safe Works requires that you also complete a physical with them in order to get the TB test completed. You may contact them at 217-356-6150 for current fee information and to schedule an appointment
Test results must be received by the School District BEFORE employment may begin.
Criminal Background Check
A fingerprint scan for a criminal background check must be conducted before employees can begin work. Employees are hired pending the results of the background check. Volunteers also must undergo a non-fingerprinted criminal background check. Click here for a list of convictions which automatically exclude an employee or volunteer from work at the district.
Bloodborne Pathogen Orientation
All employees and volunteers must attend a presentation on bloodborne pathogen safety. All returning employees also are required to attend a yearly refresher presentation. More information on BBP training »
Substitute Teacher Requirements
- Results of current TB test (less than 90 days old)
- Current Illinois Teaching Certificate (must be registered in Champaign-Ford Regional Office of Education)
- Completed Substitute Employment Packet
- Attendance at a Bloodborne Pathogen inservice
- Copies of College Transcripts
- Social Security Statement
- Copy of Physical Examination (less than 90 days old)
Second Year and Thereafter
- Updated copy of registered teaching certificate
- Annual Bloodborne Pathogen inservice refresher
- Updated changes to tax withholding forms
- Updated preference form
Substitute teachers must have or acquire an Illinois Teaching Certificate. Application for certification should be made to Jane Quinlan, Regional Office of Education Champaign-Ford Counties, 200 S. Fredrick, Rantoul, IL 61866, (217) 893-3219. The certificate must be registered with the Regional Office for each school year the teacher substitutes.
Contracted Service Employment Opportunites
Urbana School District #116 contracts with outside cleaning and food service companies. Below is contact information for both companies. Please contact these companies directly to discover employment opportunities.
All district employees and those who work in school buildings for a contracted service must complete a fingerprint criminal background check.
Cleaning Service: Environmental Solutions Services (ESS)
Food Service: Aramark
Urbana Middle School
1201 S. Vine, Urbana, IL 61801
Below is a brief overview of the benefits offered to eligible District 116 employees.
Eligible employees have a health plan through Health Alliance HMO. The Board of Education contributes a portion of the premiums, and the employee is responsible for the rest. An employee may choose to waive his or her health insurance coverage during the first 31 days of hire. Under state and federal law, in the event an employee’s coverage terminates, he or she may be entitled to continue group coverage if meeting certain criteria. Contact Human Resources (217) 384-3641 for details.
Employee Benefit Allowance
An Employee Benefit Allowance can be requested in lieu of health coverage. This allowance is ideal for eligible employees already covered by other insurance. The allowance can be used for reimbursement for business-related expenses, other insurance-related expenses or dependent care. For details about the Employee Benefit Allowance contact the district’s Business Office at (217) 384-3642.
MetLife provides Basic Life Insurance paid by the district for eligible employees as well as Enhanced Optional Life and Spouse and Dependent Coverage which can be purchased by eligible employees. Contact Human Resources (217) 384-3641 for details.
MetLife is also the provider of voluntary traditional dental insurance. This traditional plan allows an eligible employee to go to any dentist and pays a percentage for covered services. There are three types of services – Preventive, Basic Restorative and Major Restorative. Contact Human Resources (217) 384-3641 for details.
The Flexible Spending Account (or flex plan) allows eligible employees to tax shelter a portion of their income for payment of items such as tax shelter group health, dental and life insurance premiums, medical co-payments, eye exams, glasses, prescription drugs, dependent care expenses and more. Cost must be actually incurred and documented with receipts for reimbursement. Contact Human Resources (217) 384-3641 for details.
Staff Documents and Salary Schedules
Collective Bargaining Agreement (pdf)
Agreement between Urbana Education Association (Certified), IEA-NEA and Urbana School District #116 Board of Education 2012-2015