Registration Information / Informacion de Registro
Basic Registration Information (pdf printable format)
Centralized Registration Dates for 2014-15
Dates and times for Urbana School District Centralized Registration for the 2014-15 school year are as follows:
- Tuesday, July 29th – 10 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, July 30th – 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, July 31st – 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Registration AFTER the centralized dates will take place at students’ school of record. Please keep in mind that students who do not register on time may have complications with busing and scheduling to start the school year. Only the custodial parent(s)/guardian(s) may register a student for school, and the student’s presence is not required.
If you are enrolling your child in kindergarten, please visit the Incoming Kindergarten Parents and Families page to learn more about Kindergarten Connection event on April 8, 2014.
The following are requirements for enrolling your child for the first time in Urbana School District #116, for a child who is returning after being out of the district or for a child transferring from another school district. To save time and to speed the enrollment, you may print and complete required forms from this page. More information about enrollment requirements»
- Proof of residency
- Birth certificate
- Student Personnel Record – General Information (form | form en Español)
- Student Transfer Form: ONLY for students transferring from another IL school
Note: All Illinois public school districts are required to provide this form to any student who is moving out of their school district to let the new IL school district know whether or not the student is “in good standing” and whether or not their medical records are up-to-date.
- Physical (form // forma en Español)
- Immunization records
- Dental exam – K, Gr. 2, Gr. 6 (form // waiver form)
- Emergency Medical Authorization (form)
- Health Survey (form)
- Bus Rules and Expectations (form)
Expectativas y Reglas del Autobus Escolar (forma en Español)
- Publicity and Photo Release Form (form)
- Internet Acceptable Use Form
Proof of Residency Requirements
Any adult who registers a child in the Urbana School District must provide:
- Photo ID (ONE of the following is acceptable):
- Driver’s license
- State ID card
- Other Photo ID
- Proof of occupation of a residence in USD #116 Residency is defined as the location where the family spends at least four nights per week. Documentation shall include ONE of the following:
- For homeowners: a copy of the deed, closing documents, or other mortgage documentation which shows the parent/guardian’s name and address.
- For renters: A copy of a properly executed lease agreement with the parent/guardian’s name listed as the renter, as well as a signature page including the name, address, and telephone number of the landlord for verification purposes.
- For those living with a person who rents or owns a residence: The documentation listed above must be provided concerning the person who resides in District 116 and with whom the parent/guardian lives.
- For those who intend to move into the District: These circumstances are clearly defined by law and the information may be obtained by calling the office of Don Owen, Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, at 217-384-3651.
- If none of the above apply, then TWO of the following must be provided:
- Telephone company verification (cellular phones are not acceptable)
- Recent utility bill
- Public aid/Medical card, medical bills
- Voter registration card
- Current homeowner’s insurance or renter’s insurance policy statement
- Auto registration
- Federal or state income tax return (financial information may be removed)
Students are expected to attend the school in the school district in which their parents reside. If the child enrolled in the Urbana School District does not live with his/her parents, then guardians must provide legal documentation of their guardian status.
- Registering Returning Students
Parents/guardians must provide the Proof of Residency Requirements above.
- Registering New Students
Parents/guardians enrolling a student FOR THE FIRST TIME in Urbana Schools, enrolling a child who is returning after being out of the district or enrolling a child transferring from another school district will need to provide the Proof of Residency Requirements above AND the following information at the time of registration:
- Registering Kindergarten Students
To enroll at the Urbana School District #116, a child must be five (5) years old on or before September 1 of the school year in which he or she plans to attend. It is the practice of our school district to screen all incoming kindergartners. This information will enable the kindergarten teacher and building staff to meet each child’s needs.Any transfer student who wishes to enroll in this district after having started the school year in a kindergarten program in another district will be exempt from the entrance age requirement as allowed by law. Parents should have pre-registered their kindergartners in April. But if you have missed this pre-registration, you still may be allowed to register your kindergartner at the fall registration at UMS. Screening appointments will be arranged at registration. Please contact the child’s future school or Jennifer Frerichs, 384-3565 or email@example.com for further information about the screening process.
- Registering Students entering K, Gr. 1, Gr. 6
The Illinois State Board of Education requires that all children in kindergarten, second and sixth grade have an oral health examination. (details)
- Registering students entering Early Childhood, K, Gr. 6, Gr. 9
Students entering the Early Childhood Program, kindergarten, sixth, or ninth grade must have a physical exam on file with the school district prior to enrolling. Students who do not have physical exams by the first day of school will not be allowed to attend school. This policy will be strictly enforced. (details)
For Urbana Early Childhood School, all Elementary Schools, UMS and UHS there is a $100 book / registration fee. Save time at fall registration by paying this fee online at the District’s Web Store. You MUST print and bring your Web Store receipt to fall registration. Use your child’s student ID number, which is found on his/her ID badge (for UMS and UHS students) and report card (for elementary students), to pay online.
For more information
If after reading this information you have questions, please feel free to call Jennifer Ivory-Tatum, Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction, at 217-384-3651, or you may call the principal’s office of the school your child will attend.
Office numbers are as follows:
- Urbana Early Childhood School: 217-384-3616
- King: 217-384-3675
- Leal: 217-384-3618
- Prairie: 217-384-3628
- Thomas Paine: 217-384-3602
- Wiley: 217-384-3670
- Yankee Ridge: 217-384-3608
- Elementary Before/After School Child Care Program: 217-384-3536
- Urbana Middle School: 217-384-3685
- Urbana High School: 217-384-3505
As stated in the Urbana School District #116 Board of Education Policy, parents may request an assignment to an attendance center outside their residential area by making a written request to Jennifer Ivory-Tatum, Deputy Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction. For further information on these procedures, please contact 217-384-3651.