Tornado season is upon us! Here are some tips to protect yourself from tornado dangers as well as some links for more information.
Stay tuned for storm warnings.
- Tune in to local media for storm information. Know the difference between a tornado WATCH and a tornado WARNING.
- A tornado WATCH means that conditions right for a tornado to form.
- A tornado WARNING means that a tornado has been sighted and could be heading to your area.
If a tornado threatens…
- If you are in a house or small building, go to the basement. If there is no basement, go to an interior room on the lowest floor. Pick a place ahead of time where you will be protected from glass and other flying debris.
- If you are outside, quickly seek shelter in the basement of a nearby sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch or low-lying area.
- If you are in a car or mobile home, GET OUT and seek shelter in the basement of a sturdy building or lie flat in a ditch low lying area AWAY from your car or mobile home.
After the tornado passes…
- Watch for fallen power lines and stay out of any damaged areas.
- Listen to the radio for information and instructions.
- Use a flashlight to inspect your home for damage.
- DO NOT use candles at any time.