Urbana School District #116 has a proud history of educational excellence and academic and extracurricular recognition. The district serves a strong multicultural community committed to education, equity and excellence. We are honored with the support from partners throughout the community, from the University of Illinois, the City of Urbana, Urbana Park District, and hundreds of volunteers, mentors, and community supporters. Our schools, staff, and students have won more awards, grants, and scholarships than most other schools in the state.
- 2015 Two National Merit Semi-Finalists
- 2014 National Merit Finalist
- Students in the Social Justice class received national recognition from American Education Research Association (AERA) Leadership for the 2014 Social Justice Bridge People Award for their action research on social justice issues at UHS
- 2013 Illinois State Chess Champion
- Over the past five years, UHS had students accepted to numerous universities and colleges including the University of Illinois, Johns Hopkins, Illinois Wesleyan, Brown, Washington, Juilliard, UCLA, Grinnell College, Caltech, Yale, Harvard, Columbia, Dartmouth, Tufts, Scripps, University of Miami, Drake, Boston College, BYU, University of Massachusetts, Northwestern, and the University of Chicago.
- Urbana Middle School and Urbana High School band and orchestra students regularly qualify for the Illinois Music Education Association state ensembles
- The 2014 student production of Little Women the Broadway Musical and the 2012 student production of Chicago: The Musical were featured at the Illinois High School Theatre Festival
- The 2014 Rosemary Yearbook staff received the Jostens National Yearbook Program of Excellence
- The overall graduation rate for UHS is 90.2%; the graduation rate for African American students is 89.4%; the graduation rate for Hispanic students is 88.2% (2013 data)
- 25 teachers in the district are Nationally Board Certified, and UHS is home to a National Board Cohort program.
- 55% of our educators hold advanced degrees
Our teachers have been recognized at the state and national level for excellence in teaching. Educators from the district have also earned recognition from the New-Gazette
, Those Who Excel, Illinois Arts Education Association, the Presidential Award for Excellence in Math and Science Teaching. Check out some the links below that highlight our recent award-winning educators: